Who is eligible to participate in a HEP project?
Under section 418A(b)(1) of the HEA2 and 34 CFR 206.3(a) and (b), an individual is eligible to participate in a HEP project if he or she:
1. Has, or has at least one immediate family member who has, spent a minimum of 75 days during the past 24 months as a migrant or seasonal farmworker (34 CFR 206.3(a)(1)); or
2. Is eligible to participate, or has participated within the past 24 months, in the MEP or the NFJP (see questions G1-G12 regarding participant eligibility under 34 CFR 206.3(a)(2)); and
3. Has not have earned a secondary school diploma or its equivalent (34 CFR 206.3(b)(1)); and
4. Is not be currently enrolled in an elementary or secondary school (34 CFR 206.3(b)(2)); and
5. Is 16 years of age or over, or beyond the age of compulsory school attendance in the State in which he or she resides (34 CFR 206.3(b)(3)); and
6. Is determined by the grantee to need the academic and supporting services and financial assistance provided by the project in order to attain the equivalent of a secondary school diploma and to gain employment or be placed in an institution of higher education (IHE) or other postsecondary education or training (34 CFR 206.3(b)(4)).